Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Classic Chocolate Cake

This is my mom's go-to cake recipe, for every occasion.  It's your birthday?  Here's a chocolate cake!  It's so go-to, in fact, that my mom usually forgets that I actually prefer yellow cake with chocolate frosting.  Oops!  But really, I'll take any flavor cake - especially one my mom made for me - any day!  So while chocolate cake might not be my favorite, this recipe certainly is delicious!

Ingredients:
3/4 cup cocoa
2/3 cup boiling water

3/4 cup butter
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs

2 cups unsifted cake flour (this is an important detail!  Cake flour, not all-purpose!)
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup buttermilk (2 tsp vinegar to milk)

Directions:
Stir together cocoa and boiling water until smooth; set aside
Cream butter and sugar
Add vanilla
Mix dry ingredients
Add dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk
Blend in cocoa mixture

Grease and flour two 9-inch layer pans
Bake at 350* for 35-40 minutes
Cool 10 minutes, then remove from pans

Frost with buttercream:
1 lb confectioners sugar
2 sticks softened butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
3-4 tablespoons milk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did you like this recipe?